What you need to know as you PLAN your THREE DAY PILGRIMAGE
1. You will be on the Island for two nights. Pilgrims usually arrive around mid-day on the first day of the pilgrimage and stay on the Island until the morning of the third day.
2. Fasting begins at 12 midnight prior to your arrival. The period of fasting (one simple Lough Derg meal each day) lasts until 12 midnight on the third day. Gluten free bread and oatcakes are provided in the Pilgrim Dining Room; pilgrims are kindly requested not to bring their own products.
3. Your 24hr Vigil begins at 10:00pm on the first day of the pilgrimage and ends at10:00pm on the second day. There is an opportunity for a pre-vigil rest between7:30pm and 9:00pm on the first day.
4. Bring your travel bag and include: warm and waterproof clothing, change of clothing, towel & toiletries, Rosary beads (available in gift shop on Island if needed), prescribed medication, sunscreen, insect repellent, suitable reading material (optional).
5. Hostel-style accommodation is provided. Male and Female accommodation is separate. Wash basins and foot baths are available to pilgrims in their accommodation location.
6. Private car & coach parking facilities. There is a large private parking space at the lake shore. Public transport is available from across the island of Ireland. For more information, contact Lough Derg by telephone 0719861518 or contact us here.
7. Organised Groups come by coach. There are a number of Pilgrimage Organisers across the Island of Ireland who organise travel to Lough Derg. To find out more please contact us here and we can help put you in touch with your nearest pilgrimage organiser.