PRACTICAL NOTES for Guided Pilgrimage on the Lough Derg Pilgrim Path:
- The Pilgrimage is completed outdoors on the Pilgrim Path along the lakeshore.
- Pilgrims will be accompanied by a member of the Lough Derg team as they ‘Walk and Pray’ the pilgrimage on the Lough Derg Pilgrim Path.
- There are two distance options. 8km Pilgrimage or 12km Pilgrimage.
- Maximum of 20 pilgrims per group.
- Up to three groups per day with staggered start times.
- The Pilgrimage lasts approx. 5 hrs
- The walk begins and ends at the Visitor Centre
- The Pilgrim Path offers a moderate walk on gentle terrain. Pilgrims are advised to wear good walking shoes/boots and to be prepared for the changeable weather conditions at Lough Derg.
- In addition to what is available on the information boards each pilgrim will receive a Guide to the Lough Derg Pilgrim Path and Prayer Resource booklet that will be used along the way.
- A small bottle of water and a piece of fruit will be provided to each pilgrim.
- Pilgrims may wish to bring a snack/packed lunch.
- Weather permitting, pilgrims will have the opportunity to gather for a simple Mass before the final stretch on the return route.
- The Lough Derg Shop will be open in the Visitor Centre.
- Prayer Intention cards available.
- St Brigid’s Chapel will be open for written prayer petitions or light a candle to have loved ones included in Lough Derg Masses.
- Lough Derg will be implementing the Public Health Measures that are in line with Government Guidelines at any given time.
- Numbers are limited. Only those who have pre-booked can be admitted.
Contact email@example.com / tel. 0(035371) 9861518
Here’s a video from when Pilgrim Bernard surprised us with his special snack – in the spirit of the Three Day Pilgrimage: